Runners reflect on Coach Williams resignation

By Donna Styron | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Earlier this month, it was announced that coach Dave Williams resigned as head coach of Flagler College’s cross country teams. Williams had been the coach for the men’s team for 14 years and the women’s from 1997-06.

Rising senior Rebecca Hoadley reflected on her time with Williams this past semester.

“Dave brought the men’s and women’s cross country teams together, and we all became stronger,” she said. “He kept us on our toes mentally and physically. I enjoyed having Williams as a coach because of his high standards; he helped teach that if we are to be successful as a team, we need to be motivated, hard-working and most importantly: unified.”

Williams plans to transfer from Flagler College to Georgia Tech to be their new Associate Director for Campus Recreation and  Athletics. One of his new roles will be hosting international and national championship events at the 1996 Olympic Village complex.

“I have mixed feelings about Dave resigning. I know he would have help us get far next season,” Hoadley said. “This is going to be a change for the better [for him]. He took an opportunity that may not have come again.”

Alyssa Pasiewicz, a rising junior was saddened by Williams departure from Flagler but valued the time she had him as a coach.

“I very upset because of the training aspect of it. He was different than any other coach I have ever had before and I had already improved my running times within the short  months of having him as a coach,” she said. “Dave also provided our team with a very wonderful environment that made our time very enjoyable and he then all of a sudden left.”

While Williams was at Flagler, he received 13 coach of the year honors and led numerous teams to regional and national competitions. His coaching career at Flagler has produced 44 national qualifiers and 24 all-conference runners. This past fall, Williams took the men’s team to the Peach Belt Conference Championships where they placed sixth and then placed 15th at the Southeast Regional Championships.

“There are a lot of things in the works for Dave, and I trust Taylor Mott as well as the Athletic Department to find us a new coach. Coach Williams is going to be where he needs to be,” Hoadley said. “Flagler cross country is a tight knit group, we are all motivated and help each other.”

Be the first to comment on "Runners reflect on Coach Williams resignation"