Flag football: serious business at Flagler College

By Anthony Norwood | gargoyle@flagler.edu

At Flagler College, one of the biggest complaints is the lack of a football team. Students have found a way to cope with this though by turning to intramural football.

Jeff Greene, a student who participates in flag football, said it is the most popular intramural sport at Flagler College and is also the intramural game taken the most seriously.

“Flag football is just a fun way to get some exercise and have fun with your friends,” said John Ansell, a Flagler student and flag football player.

At first glance, flag football is a fun, competitive activity that students go out and have a good time with. But some students feel that flag football is overly competitive and has led to altercations among students.

“I think people take flag football too seriously because everyone who plays isn’t a big time Division I athlete,” Robbie Cambo said. “They need something to care about.” When asked if he thought if flag football would be less competitive if Flagler had a football team, he said, “Probably.”

Greene knows how seriously the students take flag football from first hand experience. Greene was recently kicked off his team in the middle of a game.

“I was talking with the other team and we were cracking jokes and I hear ‘Get off the field!’ I looked around and realized they were talking to me so I just walked off,” Green said.

Incidents like this happen all too often with flag football.

Green said some teams will scout freshman when they first arrive on campus and some teams even hold tryouts to make the best teams.

“People don’t know how to lighten up and have a good time,” Greene said. “You go through all the stress you put on yourself for what, an intramural championship? Big deal.”

Be the first to comment on "Flag football: serious business at Flagler College"