Former Menendez linebacker’s talent reaches beyond playing field

By Zach Gray | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Top athletes like former Pedro Menendez linebacker Tony Steward don’t come around very often.

Steward has all of the athletic accolades that, for most of us, exist only in dreams. For the 2011 recruiting class, he was ranked as the country’s 13th overall prospect, according to rivals.com. Furthermore, Steward’s exceptional talents earned him a scholarship to continue his career at Clemson University. But with the world of athletics seemingly in the palm of his hand, it is Steward’s off-the-field lifestyle and endeavors that truly set him apart.

“The best compliment I can give Tony as an individual is to say that I hope my six-year-old son turns out exactly like him,” said Pedro Menendez football Coach Keith Cromwell. “His character, school work and social behavior are unmatched.”

Cromwell also took special note of how his star linebacker’s character helped the team on the field.

“His leadership is unparalleled and his work ethic is unmatched. Tony definitely took our team to a whole new level, not only by his play-making ability, but also by his leadership.”

In the midst of the limelight, Steward stressed the importance of maintaining his character and simply being himself.

“Some colleges recruited me not only because of my talents on the field, but because of who I am as a person,” he said. “With my football aside, I’m really just a chill person. I like to hang out and laugh, go to the beach a little and play basketball.”

Steward also understands that despite his impressive athletic achievements thus far, there are simply no guarantees. For that reason, the linebacker maintains a solid work ethic in the classroom.

“Tony is in class everyday, striving to be the best in school as he is on the football field,” Cromwell said.

Steward plans to take his school work ethic with him to Clemson. “I’ll be majoring in business management. I’d really like to start networking and get my name out there as much as possible.”

Be the first to comment on "Former Menendez linebacker’s talent reaches beyond playing field"