Sports Spotlight: Skylar Fox

Skylar_Fox
By Michael Gaither | gargoyle@flagler.edu

St. Petersburg College transfer Skylar Fox is looking to make an immediate impact on this year’s Saints baseball team.

Fox has earned himself a starting spot at first base this year for the Saints and has high expectations for this year’s team. Fox’s role could be pivotal for the Saints baseball team, which is looking to bounce back after last year’s disappointing finish. The Saints finished ninth in their conference with a 24-22 overall record.

“Our goal this year is to win a Peach Belt Conference title,” Fox said. “I’m looking forward to a great, competitive season. We have high expectations and are looking to improve from last year.”

Fox has already made a name for himself. Coming in during the fall of 2013, Fox was a new face but has since become an instant role model for many Saints players.

“We have a great group of guys on this year’s ball club,” Fox said. “It’s like one big family out there. Everyone gets along and each player competes hard, bringing out the best in every player.”

Fox’s teammates are eager to express how much they appreciate having him at first base.

“Defensively, Skylar is one of the best first basemen I’ve had the chance to play with,” said freshman shortstop Josh Pagliei. “Having him at first base makes me feel very comfortable and more confident. I know that when I throw the ball, the play will be finished. He is a defensive leader and works really hard at practice, toning all areas of his skills when it comes to first base.”

Position players aren’t the only ones who appreciate him. The pitchers have also expressed their confidence in Fox’s presence at first base.

“He’s the type of player that helps you feel calm and confident,” said junior pitcher Kyle Bird. “I know that I can throw over and not worry about making the perfect throw all the time. He’s got some of the greatest hands I have ever seen at first base, and the confidence he displays really translates and sets the tone for the other players on our team.”

As a senior in high school, Fox won many awards for his defense, including the 2011 First Basemen of the Year by the Broward County Athletic Association.

Last year Fox was ranked ninth in the nation with 404 recorded putouts. Fox was first in this category at the final game of the season but fell to ninth after the Titans missed the playoffs. The St. Petersburg Titans awarded Fox with the defensive player of the year award at the end of the 2013 season.

“I work hard on my defense and it showed last year when I was one of the top defensive first basemen in the country,” said Fox. “Defense helps win ball games, so I take pride in making every play count.”

Be the first to comment on "Sports Spotlight: Skylar Fox"