Success for women’s golf with PBC tournament near

By Meg Weathersby | gargoyle@flagler.edu

The women’s golf team recently showcased their skill during the Barry Bucs Invitation. The team hopes to continue playing well as their season winds down and they look toward competing against Peach Belt Conference teams.

Senior Kaitlyn Edwards is happy with the way that she finished as well as the way that her team finished.

“There were a lot of good players out there and the course was in good shape. This gave everyone the opportunity to shoot low,” Edwards said.

Fellow senior teammate, Laura Martellino, is proud of Edwards’ playing because, “the first day was basically a monsoon,” Martellino said.

“Kaitlyn played great because the weather was so miserable the first day. She ended up coming in eighth place which is an achievement since the competition was so strong,” Martellino said

The rain didn’t stop any of the other Saints from having standout scores.

“I really think tour team played a great tournament. This was our last spring tournament and I feel we all contributed to a great finish,” Edwards said.

Other players improved their scores alongside Edwards and Martellino that contributed to the team’s success.

“As a team I would say we were happy because we scored our overall team best the last day,” Martellino said.

Coach Santiago Cavanagh is always near to give helpful advice or boost the player’s moral.

“Santiago is a very motivating coach and always makes me feel like I have the game to succeed,” Martellino said.

The team looks to compete well against PBC teams at Callaway Gardens in Georgia starting April 12th.

“I think we have a great chance in making it. I think we are all mentally and physically ready to play great golf,” Edwards said.

Be the first to comment on "Success for women’s golf with PBC tournament near"