Student honored at EWLI luncheon

By Matthew Boyle | mboyle@flagler.edu

Photos by Matthew Boyle

The Enterprising Women’s Leadership Institute of Florida honored Flagler College student Jamie Alvarez, 22, as a female leader in the community on Saturday, March 21.

Alvarez received the recognition as a result of numerous service and leadership activities she has taken part in during her career as a student at Flagler College. She has served as an intern at United States Senator Mel Martinez’s local offices, has worked as the managing partner for the Dow Advantage Public Relations Group and has been actively involved in the “Girl Effect.”

“The Girl Effect is a non-profit funded by the Nike Foundation that provides scholarships and loans for women in third-world countries in order for them to establish their own businesses and make their own profit,” Alvarez said.

Alvarez will graduate in April with a degree in Communication following the Public Relations track and minors in both History and Advertising. She hopes to one day start a nonprofit organization that recognizes women’s achievements. She credits Flagler College with giving her the tools to succeed.

“Flagler gives you every single opportunity to make something of yourself,” Alvarez said. “I wanted to come to a small school where my professors knew my name and knew my work, where I was more than just a number. Where I was Jamie Alvarez and I was making a difference. Where I was doing something positive.”

Be the first to comment on "Student honored at EWLI luncheon"