Helping in another language

By Danielle Marsh | dmarsh1@flagler.edu

Carmen Flores and her husband left their family and moved to St. Augustine so their 8-year-old son, Xavier, could attend the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind.

Working for FSDB can be challenging because she works with both English- and Spanish-speaking families. However, Flores keeps a positive attitude about her situation. She is able to draw from her experiences to help others.

“I can contribute and talk to families about what my experience was like,” Flores said. “The things that I did and things that didn’t work for me, but might work for someone else.”

Flores takes a sign language class at Flagler so she can become more proficient in communicating with her son. She is fluent in Spanish and English but Flores says it’s hard learning a third language. But Flores is determined to learn sign language despite the obstacles.

“I am determined to do well in it, and become more proficient in it, not only to help him but also to help families,” Flores said.

Despite her desire to help others, she resists labels like “hero” and remains modest. She says she never looks at herself that way.

“I love helping others, and I like doing things because I don’t expect anything in return.” Flores said. “Just knowing I helped someone is gratification enough.”

Flores credits her strength to God. “I thank God every day,” she said. “Part of the reason we’re doing so well, is our faith, you can’t put a price tag on it.”

Be the first to comment on "Helping in another language"