Friendly sibling rivalry at the net

By Melissa Bear

Photo by Glenn Judah
Senior goalkeeper Jordan Holtz will pass on his legacy, and his position, to his younger brother and freshman goalkeeper Josiah Holtz after this season

Saints men’s Soccer Coach John Lynch is very pleased with his goalkeeping situation for the 2006 season. According to Lynch, “If you have good goalkeeping, you can build up from that.”

And apparently goalkeeping must run in some families. Or so it does in the Holtz family.

Senior goalkeeper Jordan Holtz has been playing and working hard for three years along with the talented goalkeepers the Saints have had in the past such as Pete Young and Mike Allard, both of whom have since graduated. This season looks to be an exciting one for Holtz. Not only is it his final season, but he also gets to play along side his younger brother, freshman goalkeeper Josiah Holtz.

Lynch expects great things from both players. “Jordan has been playing well, and Josiah is a big lad, and he’ll be pushing Jordan for his position,” Lynch said.

Although Jordan graduated high school in 2001, he didn’t begin his freshman year at Flagler until September of 2003, while Josiah graduated this past spring from East Ridge High School in Clarmont, Fla. Josiah was recruited by several large schools, but chose Flagler for a variety of reasons. “I’ve been around the team, I’ve practiced with them before, and I just really liked Flagler the most,” he said.

“Who wouldn’t want to go to school and play a sport with their best friend? That’s the best part about it,” said Jordan, who never thought he’d have the opportunity to play collegiate soccer with his brother. “He’s my younger brother, but he’s also an athlete fighting for my spot.”

Having to compete for the same position, they push each other each day in practice, motivating and competing at the same time.
“He’ll make saves, and I won’t know how he did it, and I’ll have to turn around and make one that much more impressive,” said Jordan, who feels that their competition is healthy. “We get on each other, but we leave it on the field.”

Their mother, Roxanne Logan, tries to come to as many games as possible, and she loves seeing them on the field together. “What could be more wonderful as a mother,” Logan said. “It is humbling and a great thing. They both have such talent.”

According to Jordan, it is an experience he’ll never forget. “I look to my right, and I see Josiah. I look to my left and I see my mom.”

Be the first to comment on "Friendly sibling rivalry at the net"