Kate (money) Martin: Rookie begins her journey with defending WNBA champs

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - MAY 03: Kate Martin #20 of the Las Vegas Aces poses for a portrait during the team's media day at Vu Studios on May 03, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Candice Ward/Getty Images)

By Gabby Alfveby

Former University of Iowa women’s basketball star Kate Martin’s dreams have become a reality as she makes the roster as a rookie guard of the reigning WNBA champions, the Las Vegas Aces.

As of May 7, The Las Vegas Aces have waived their last player in order to reach the 12-player roster limit.

Martin showed up to the 2024 WNBA draft to support her friend and previous teammate Caitlin Clark, but she hoped that her name would also be called. Martin was drafted in the second round as pick number 18.

The Aces tip off their regular season on Tuesday, May 14, at 10 p.m. against Diana Taurasi and the Phoenix Mercury. The season opener will air on ESPN 2.

Draft Night

Draft night was a fairytale for Martin, and her excitement grew when they moved her seat in the crowd in case she was picked.

“It was definitely a dream come true,” Martin said. “But they moved me closer to the aisle so I could get up to stage quicker because I was in the middle of the row. Pick 16- when they picked Dayshia Fair- the camera was close to me. So I was like, ‘Oh gosh, am I getting close?’”

When Martin heard her name called, she was flooded with emotions as the camera panned back to her face.

“Honestly it was just so many emotions, a lot of happiness. I was feeling very grateful, and it was really cool to be able to celebrate that with my teammates who were there and my coaches who were there and be able to walk across the stage,” Martin said.

Megan being on the same team

Megan Gustafson has gained experience from being in the league for five years. Gustafson and Martin played one year together at Iowa.

During the transition process from college to the professional level, Gustafson has been able to act as a mentor and friend to Martin.

“It’s definitely been nice to have a familiar face,” Martin said. “Megan and I were teammates for a year when she was a senior, and I was a freshman at Iowa. Megan has been through pretty much everything during her five years in the league; been through cuts, been through making teams, heartbreak, and a lot of good times as well. So, it’s been really nice to be able to talk to her and bounce ideas off of her. If I’m ever struggling, [it’s been nice] to be able to talk to her about it.”

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – MAY 03: Kate Martin #20 of the Las Vegas Aces poses for a headshot during the WNBA media day at Vu Studios on May 03, 2024, in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)

Advice from Vets

It may be hard to believe, but Martin is a fan of women’s basketball despite the stage she has reached so far in her career.

“Honestly, it’s hard not to get Starstruck every day when I walk into their facility, but it’s been really great,” Martin said.

Martin emphasized how generous and supportive the veteran players on the Aces have been. They are always willing to help her when she needs it.

Martin said that whenever she has a question her veteran teammates are always ready to answer after having been in the league for some time now.

“It’s just been really cool to be able to watch them work. Their warm-up routines, everything they do, how they work like a pro. You know that these women are amazing, and they’re very good at their jobs. And so just being able to see what they do and try to emulate that and how hard they go every single rep,” Martin said. “I can always be better, and I want to be like them.”

Learning Curve and IQ/Terminology

Entering the WNBA comes with a learning curve for every rookie. Martin has had to adjust to the terminology and the players’ high IQs.

“The terminology is definitely different. Like I said before, the IQ is through the roof. So they definitely have a lot of different terms, and it makes sense. It’s basketball at the end of the day, though,” Martin said. “I’ve been trying to pick it up as much as possible and talking with the vets when I can about the terminology or what I need to do on this play XYZ, and they’re very receptive of that, and they’re very willing to help.”

Martin said she thinks she’s been picking up the terminology pretty well.

“So that is very nice to have that, you know, a really good vet-led group,” Martin said. “But yeah, I think I’m picking up on it. Well, I don’t know. You could ask coach, and she could say I’m not picking up on it very well. So I’m just taking it day-by-day and trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can.”

Adjustment to the WNBA

The speed and physicality are other adjustments that rookies also have to accumulate.

“This is a different level. There are levels to basketball, and you know, every single level you get to, it’s going to be more difficult. It’s going to be faster-paced. It’s going to be more physical, and I’m just trying to hang and take it day by day and give it all my all every single day,” Martin said.

Martin isn’t putting pressure on herself to be the star player; rather, she just wants to be the best she can be and continue to improve her skills.

When she enters the gym every day, her intentions are to give 100% effort, work hard, and be a good teammate.

“I’m just here being myself. I don’t need to be anybody else. I don’t need to be the star player. You see the talent that the Aces have that my role would just be a role player,” Martin said. “I’ve been in that position before I know how to be a role player. I know how to support stars. I’ve done that for quite a few years.”

Basketball Teaches Lessons

Basketball teaches athletes many lessons along the way, which Martin has been able to utilize in her daily life. Basketball has made her who she is, not just as a player on the court but also as a person off the court.

“It [basketball] teaches you how to be a good teammate, how to be able to cooperate with other people, [and] work as a team. Those are life skills that you can carry on forever and it’s bigger than just myself,” Martin said. “I just try to work really hard and take those life lessons into my daily life, who I am as a person. That’s who I am to my core. And so while I’m not only just a basketball player I can take all those lessons I’ve learned in my however many years of playing and keep that in my core of who I am and my personality.”

Be the first to comment on "Kate (money) Martin: Rookie begins her journey with defending WNBA champs"