Through the lens: Hurricane Irma’s damage still found around St. Augustine

By Lillian Jaeger | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Even though the town of St. Augustine did not get a direct hit from Hurricane Irma earlier this month, there was still major damage that occurred and can still be seen even 4 weeks after the storm. As I walked down King Street, I noticed some stores that were obviously affected. One of them being the highlight of this photo essay – local thrift store, Alya’s Acres. Furniture, clothing, and trash were laid outside in the parking lot ruined by the floods Hurricane Irma brought to the town.

I also wanted to see what the beaches were like after the hurricane so I went over to St. Augustine beach to see if I could find anything. There, I not only found a broken dock that was destroyed from the high winds and tides, but also a sofa cushion that washed up onto the shore along with heavy mud and debris that was being carried by the ocean tides.

While Hurricane Irma is long gone, the reminders of the damage she caused are still everywhere.

Ayla’s Acres No-Kill Animal Rescue Thrift Shop located on 142 King Street, St. Augustine, FL

The Gillis Law Firm, located on King Street, St. Augustine, FL

Fine Art – Atelier Signature Collection located on 130 King Street, St. Augustine, FL 

St. Augustine Beach

St. Augustine Beach

St. Augustine Beach

Be the first to comment on "Through the lens: Hurricane Irma’s damage still found around St. Augustine"