The Shape of Success

Emily TopperBy Emily Topper| gargoyle@flagler.edu

Growing up, I was never considered to be a “big” person. I stayed pretty average throughout high school, relying on moderate exercise and a teenaged metabolism that I didn’t appreciate until it was gone. But by my sophomore year of college, I was obese.

Although I don’t know if I could technically classify myself as a binge eater, I know that I definitely used food as my main coping mechanism throughout my first couple semesters of college. Perhaps it was adjusting to a new schedule, starting a new job, or living away from home for the first time.

Whatever the reason, I always turned to food. I entered college at around 140 pounds, and by the end of my sophomore year I was at a peak of 194 pounds. Something needed to change, but I hadn’t realized that yet.

The weird thing is, I wasn’t fully aware of my size when I was overweight. Sure, I thought to myself “I’ve gained some weight and I can afford to lose a few pounds.” But I was happy in my own skin. It wasn’t until I began to lose weight before my junior year of college that I started to feel insecure about my size.

I decided I needed to lose the extra weight I had gained, under my doctor’s recommendation. The simple fact was that I needed to be leading a healthy lifestyle, and I wasn’t. If I continued down the same path I was going, using food to solve any and all problems, I’d face serious health issues in the future. Often, I was tired, irritable and had no real motivation to do anything. Regardless of my size, my health was making me unhappy, and only I could fix that.

An acquaintance of mine was frequently posting about his success with weight loss and fitness on Facebook. After deciding to recommit to my health, I sent him a message. He told me about a diet known as “keto,” in which the body goes into a state of ketosis and burns off fat first instead of carbohydrates.

In order for the diet to be successful, I had to limit my intake of carbohydrates to the bare minimum and eat foods like lean meats, green vegetables and dairy products. I couldn’t have anything processed or sugary, especially bread. Although I thought the diet sounded easy enough, I had major withdrawals in the first few days, and wanted to give up. But I stuck with it, and pretty soon I started to see results.

The weight started to slip off as I kept with the diet. I dropped from 194 to 188. 188 to 180. 180 to 172.

I felt immensely better, but I had (with the exception of a few cheat days) been without a regular amount of carbohydrates for nearly two months. I was worried that once I stopped the diet, the weight would instantly come right back. Before the process started I had been unconcerned about my weight or what I looked like, but now I compulsively stepped on the scale after eating almost anything. Even though I was 22 pounds smaller, I felt more insecure than ever before.

When I returned to school in August for my junior year of college, people began to instantly take note of my weight loss. They asked me what I had been doing, what I had been eating, how I felt. At first, I was excited that so many people were praising me for the way I looked. But eventually, the positive comments started to eat away at me.

I have no doubt that every comment I received was meant with genuine praise and happiness for me. I’m grateful to have so many people in my life that care about me and my well-being. That being said, the comments I received on my weight loss made me realize just how shallow we can really be.

I had lost some weight, but I hadn’t changed. Even though I was the same person, I was being made to feel that I was greater than before because I was a smaller size. I believe there’s something inherently wrong with that.

While I was trying to lose weight, I was doing a lot of other things with my life that I considered to be more important. However, many of the people that I was around seemed to consider weight loss as my most important endeavor. Although I’m grateful for the support, my weight loss—or my body in general—has never been something that I believed warranted commentary.

I felt as though my outer appearance was far more important to the people around me than anything else I was doing.

Even though I hadn’t been fully aware of how my body looked previously, everyone else had. When I dropped down to under 150 by my senior year of college and once again started to receive positive comments about my weight, I started to worry.

What if people thought I wasn’t small enough yet? What if all of that weight came creeping back? I started analyzing every little bite of food I put in my mouth and was self-conscious when I was eating around people I wasn’t comfortable with.

I was determined not to gain any of the weight back. I had dropped four dress sizes in just over a year, but it still didn’t seem to be enough. I felt like people were looking at me more, offering silent criticism. Looking at it now, hearing people tell me that I was pretty and that I was enough made me question myself even more. That’s what body image does to us.

Although I’ve reached a size that seems to be socially acceptable, I often still have trouble telling myself that I am enough. I can look in the mirror and criticize my arms, or my chin, or my lack of a thigh gap.

But my size really has nothing to do with the person I am. The success I had in other aspects of my life when I was 194 in no way differs from the success I have now at 147. Whether I’m 100 pounds or 400 pounds, I still deserve the same amount of respect as everyone else.

I hope to one day live in a society where my shape is not the most important thing about me, nor the first thing that people notice. We are all so much more than that.

Be the first to comment on "The Shape of Success"