Tortuga Music Festival comes to Ft. Lauderdale

By Ashley Goodman | gargoyle@flagler.edu

On April 13 and 14, the 1st annual Tortuga Music Festival will not only bring country acts such as Jake Owen, The Avett Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd to the stage, but will teach the importance of ocean conservation as well.

The two-day festival was set up by Chris Stacey, a Nashville-based producer and Rock the Ocean founder. Shocked by what he saw when he was free diving off of Ft. Lauderdale Beach, Stacey contacted Huka Entertainment and the Guy Harvey Foundation to put together the festival.

Country singer Jake Owen is happy to be playing close to his home town, Vero Beach. “It gives me an excuse to come home; the festival is right on the beach. I’m looking forward to it,” he said.

Along with music, the festival will have an interactive conservation village. One of the main goals of the music festival is to increase the public’s knowledge on the deteriorating state of the ocean.

Exhibits range from how to prepare sustainable seafood to a shark lab to virtual gaming consoles. The goal of these exhibits is to highlight the importance of ocean conservation. “I’m hoping it turns into this great, great experience. I grew up on the beach, so ocean conservation is a big deal to me,” said Owen.

A 2014 Tortuga Music Festival is already in the works. Stacey has recently received inquiries from “big, big” names. To purchase tickets for Tortuga Music Festival, please visit http://www.tortugamusicfestival.com/

Be the first to comment on "Tortuga Music Festival comes to Ft. Lauderdale"