Injured soccer player discusses future

By Daniel Arbelaez | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Austin O’Connor, a sophmore at Flagler, has had a hard time with injuries since he started playing for the Flagler College men’s soccer team. First, he was injured just before the 2011-2012 season began with a dislocated knee. He was not able to play a single game during one of Flagler’s best seasons. The Saints finished their 2011-2012 season with a 17-3-3 record and won their second Peach Belt Conference regular season title.

By the time O’Connor recovered from his injures, the season was already done. He then began to play and started practicing with the team. But before the team started to play some friendly games, O’Connor got injured again during practice. He now has a torn ACL, torn Medial and Lateral Meniscus.

How many injuries have you had in your life?
I have had 6-7 throughout my career.

Which one was the worst injury?
The current one I have now, a torn ACL, torn Medial and Lateral Meniscus.

When is your comeback?
The doctor told me a year so I am looking at anywhere from December to February.

What is the hardest thing of being injured?
Mentally, it is very tough. Dealing with the pain isn’t bad because you get used to it, but not being able to play and having to deal with such a long process of healing can get tough on the mind.

What is your goal when you are ready to play again?
My goal is to be able to contribute to the team. I transferred here in hopes I could be one of the leaders of the team. But now I would just like to be successful in recovery and be able to help out again.

What is your goal in life with soccer?
Ill always keeps soccer in my life but I will probably give up playing it after I graduate school. I would like to be a coach one day because I want to be able to teach young kids what I have learned throughout my career.

Be the first to comment on "Injured soccer player discusses future"