With young team, men’s basketball wins season opener and eyes strong season

By Mari Pothier | gargoyle@flagler.edu
Photo by Dyann Busse

After a surge in the second half, the Flagler College men’s basketball team won their opening game Nov. 14 against Webber International University 82-68.

Head Coach Bo Clark said Chad July and Ante Gospic were major contributors in getting the win, along with Jarrod Branco.

Catch highlight of men’s basketball season opener

“I thought we did a real good job of getting some transition baskets and fast break points, which I thought really helped out,” Clark said.

After losing five key seniors last year, the Saints have a young team this season with eight new players and only five returners. Clark said he’s never had so many new players in his 26 years as head coach at Flagler.

“Every game I’m hoping, even if it’s 2 percent or 5 percent, we can improve as a team,” Clark said. “It takes a while for the new guys to kind of get to know me, too, you know my style of coaching and how I handle the game situations, how I handle practice, how I handle discipline. So they’re coming along well.”

Clark said the team is still trying to figure out a rotation that works well for them.

The Saints’ strengths this season are getting the ball out along with fast breaks. Clark also said the team has good perimeter shooting from freshman Matt Clark and junior Ryan Barnes.

“It’s early in the season. We still have to improve our defense. We have to improve our rebounding,” Clark said.

The Saints were chosen to finish 13th in the preseason Peach Belt Conference men’s basketball coaches poll. Clark said the Peach Belt is a difficult basketball conference and the team is hoping to win as many conference games as they can. Conference play does not start until Dec. 3.

“We’d definitely like to win the Peach Belt,” Clark said. “Realistically, I’d like to try to make the conference tournament and be in the top eight so we get a chance to play in the post season.”

The Saints’ next game is at home against Clearwater Christian on Nov. 18.

– Catch all Flagler home games live on fcgargoyle.wpengine.com, courtesy of FCTV. For schedule information, visit athletics.flagler.edu.

Be the first to comment on "With young team, men’s basketball wins season opener and eyes strong season"