Armstrong to leave Flagler

By Samantha Price | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Photo Illustrations by Samantha Price

Longtime professor of journalism, Rob Armstrong, will be stepping down from his position at Flagler College at the end of this semester.

Though Armstrong claims you don’t learn life lessons necessarily from journalism, some of  his students have a different opinion.

“Professor Armstrong not only taught me how to be a professional writer but he also taught me how not to be with quotes from his own experiences like ‘excuses are for losers,'” former journalism student Jessica Blengino said. “He is definitely going to be missed.”

That lesson, which Armstrong says came from his hockey coach father, has been one of the most important he ever learned.

“Find your passion,” Armstrong said.

Along with his career as a correspondent for CBS, Armstrong is the author of eight books and has had articles published in several publications.

“Covering the news is a passion. Covering the news is like being in the clergy, or being in the police, or being in the military… it’s a calling. And, as a result, the job is everything.. and that’s how it worked for 32 years with me,” he said about his long-time career in journalism.

Next semester, Robbie Gordon, who is currently a producer for ABC’s Dateline, will be taking over Armstrong’s position.

“I am delighted Robbie Gordon is taking my place and I can’t think of anybody that would do better than she will,” said Armstrong about his replacement.

Gordon, who admits to having big shoes to fill, said that Armstrong has given her great advice—partly by example and partly in words.

“He advised me to talk from my own experience,” Gordon said.

As for Armstrong’s future, it’s uncertain but Armstrong plans to write another book and play lots of golf.

Be the first to comment on "Armstrong to leave Flagler"