Local talent on men’s soccer team

By Keith Hayes | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Head men’s soccer Coach John Lynch says he likes to have players from all around the world on his team. But more and more he’s balanced that with local talent.

“It’s great because 10 years ago there weren’t really any players from this area,” Lynch said. “But now every year there are players that can play at the college level.”

The Flagler men’s soccer team has a total of 30 players on the roster, six of whom are from the northeast Florida area. Lynch said that he is very happy with the team’s chemistry this year.

Saint Augustine local and senior midfielder Kevin Partel said, “It’s been good playing for Flagler. I’ve known Coach Lynch since middle school and have been going to his soccer camp all my life. I just wanted to go somewhere where I would play. I didn’t think I was going to stay here, but it worked out.”

Partel said the local and international players on the team have competitions with each other. They compete on the golf course and sometimes split up during soccer practice to play Americans vs. Internationals. Most of these competitive challenges are just for fun and are always a good way to relax, he said.

The Saints are currently ranked second in the Southeast Region poll and stand at 10-3-1. They beat North Georgia College 1-0 in overtime on Oct. 23 for their third consecutive win.

“If we play the way we’ve been playing I don’t think there is a team out there that can beat us,” Partel said.

Be the first to comment on "Local talent on men’s soccer team"