Saints Player Profile: Cale Owen

Homeschooled junior shortstop makes mark

By Clayton Coffman | gargoyle@flagler.edu
Photo by Clayton Coffman

Cale Owen had never stepped on any school’s campus until he reached Flagler’s in 2006. That didn’t bother him one bit, though.

“I never really had a problem being around people. I remember my first day my freshman year was my first day of school,” said Owen, who had always been homeschooled.

The junior shortstop from Clearwater, Fla., wasn’t worried about blending in to the new environment, either. “My parents did a good job. We did a lot of different things and branched out,” he said. “I wasn’t secluded being in homeschool.”

Owen’s love of baseball came at a young age. Both of his parents were very athletic and his father, Guy, had even played professional golf.

“My dad played [baseball] in high school. He played professional golf, too. He taught me a lot,” he said.

Like his father, Owen loved to play golf. “I played a little golf when I was younger. At times golf was my favorite,” he said.

But around the age of 14, Owen decided to pursue baseball full-time. Using a Florida High School Athletic Association rule that permits homeschooled students to participate in prep sports, he played baseball at Clearwater High.

After a few years of playing, Flagler became attracted to Owen’s skills on the diamond.

“Coach (Dave) Barnett noticed me when I was 16 at a showcase. They were the first ones to talk to me,” Owen said.

And the rest, they say, was history. Owen decided to attend Flagler.

“Flagler seemed like the best fit for me. I had no problems traveling far away from home,” he said.

Owen has been with the Flagler baseball program the last three years and he’s seen it progress.

“The program is definitely moving up. We’re working on recruiting and we’re changing things on the field,” he added.

The progression, as Owen sees it, has a lot to do with Coach Barnett and the Saints’ entry into the Peach Belt Conference.

“Coach Barnett’s done a great job. It’s tough being AD and coach,” Owen said.

The Saints new conference will also be a stepping stone to better results, Owens believes.

“Getting into a conference is really huge. We will focus on our conference and have something to play for. Next year is the year to focus and win a conference championship,” Owen said.

What about life after baseball?

“I’d still love to play baseball. But if that doesn’t happen I want to pursue real estate. Use my business degree in some way with that,” he said.

Be the first to comment on "Saints Player Profile: Cale Owen"