Barnett stepping down as Athletic Director

After 15 years, Barnett says he’s ready to pass on the torch

By Clayton Coffman | ccoffman@flagler.edu

Photo by Mary Elizabeth Fair

David Barnett has been quite the force when it comes to expanding Flagler’s Athletic Department. But after July 1, 15 years of athletic administration will come to an end.

Barnett announced recently that he will relinquish his role as athletic director, but stay on as head Flagler baseball coach.

“I have truly enjoyed directing our athletic program and working with such outstanding coaches and staff,” Barnett said.

During his tenure as AD, Barnett has overseen the school’s 13 intercollegiate sports. He’s also added several new sports to Flagler’s athletics program, including softball this past year.

“That’s been a great thing,” Barnett said. “The latest sport, women’s fast-pitch softball, has been exciting to bring in. The fun part of my job has been the construction of the new softball stadium.”

Flagler College President Dr. William T. Abare Jr. has also been pleased with the direction of the school’s athletics.

“Dave Barnett has done a tremendous job directing our intercollegiate athletics program for the past 15 years and coaching our baseball team for the past 21 years,” Abare said.

Having played at all levels of baseball, collegiate and professional, Barnett thinks he’ll do an even better job when he is just focused on the baseball team.

“Where it was difficult for myself was trying to recruit and doing your administrative duties,” he said. “It’ll free up my time to be a little more selective in recruiting.”

With more attention being paid to the baseball team, why won’t it be better? During Barnett’s 21 seasons as head coach, only five of those came with losing campaigns.

“My first goal when I came here was to be in a college world series. So I’ll certainly have a little more time to dedicate myself to get the right players to accomplish that,” Barnett said.

With the spring semester rolling along, Barnett said he can’t wait to see what the next five months hold for him.

“I was fortunate enough that the college employed me as athletic director for 15 years. But it’s time to pass on the baton and let somebody else take us to the next level,” Barnett said.

Be the first to comment on "Barnett stepping down as Athletic Director"