CD Review: Natasha Bedingfield

Pocketful of Sunshine

By Marella Flynn | gargoyle@flagler.edu

British songstress Natasha Bedingfield just released her sophomore album titled Pocketful of Sunshine, proving she still has what it takes to be on top.

Her first single, “Take You There,” with Jamaican sensation Sean Kingston, has dominated the charts with its uplifting beats and melody.

Her first CD Unwritten had slightly more romantic undertones, while Pocketful of Sunshine has stronger beats resonating throughout the different songs.

Expecting more lovey-dovey songs like “Stumble” from Unwritten, the only song on her latest CD that even holds a flame to it is the overly amorous “Soulmate.”

The song has the ability to reverberate with the listener’s own feelings with its chorus, “Who doesn’t long for someone to hold/ Who knows how to love you without being told/ Somebody tell me why I’m on my own/ If there’s a soulmate for everyone.”

My personal favorite, “Not Givin’ Up,” is an evocative song about wanting to make a relationship work with its empowering lyrics you just want to scream at the top of your lungs, “I still believe in our love right now/ And its gonna work out some how/ You and me we got common ground/ I’m not giving up”.

Bedingfield also has sugary songs reminiscent of her childhood, like “Backyard,” which helps gives the CD more variety.

Most of her songs speak from the heart and Bedingfield’s robust, raspy voice sends chills down the spine. One aspect of her music that remains the same with her new CD is the way Bedingfield can inspire and motivate her listeners in under four minutes.

Having a bad day? Pocketful of Sunshine will make it OK.

Be the first to comment on "CD Review: Natasha Bedingfield"