Johnson uses sabbatical to finish two book projects

By Emilie Pembroke

Usually when people hear the term sabbatical, they think of relaxing vacations. However, Timothy J. Johnson, chair of the Liberal Studies department, spent his semester long “vacation” writing and researching.

Johnson was given the opportunity to be the Father Joseph A. Doino Visiting Professor of Franciscan Studies at St. Bonaventure University, located outside of Buffalo, N.Y.

The opportunity enables a reputable scholar to reside at the Franciscan Institute in order to pursue his/her own research projects.

“The Joseph A. Doino Visiting Professor is an endowed visiting professorship,” Johnson said. “They look for people with Franciscan studies background for research and writing.”

During the time Johnson spent at St. Bonaventure University, he was able to finish two projects, which he has spent several years working on. The first was an English translation of Bonaventure’s Latin Sunday Sermons. He has also finished editing the book Franciscans at Prayer. Sunday Sermons is expected out next September and Franciscans at Prayer is coming out this May.

While also taking time off, Johnson attended the Patristic Medieval Renaissance Conference at Villanova University. Johnson was able to present a paper that will be published in a scholarly journal.

“It was very challenging going to the conference because I was with peers who have worked in my area of expertise,” Johnson said.
Johnson has a number of publishing projects he is ready to gear up for now that he is back at Flagler College. Johnson currently has five contracts for articles he plans to contribute to scholarly books.

Johnson is thankful to Flagler College for giving him the opportunity to take the sabbatical, and says it has helped his own professional development.

“I can come back to Flagler with a renewed sense of purpose. I have a real sense of myself as a professional, and the deeper I am engaged in my profession, the more I can hope to inspire my students,” Johnson said.

Be the first to comment on "Johnson uses sabbatical to finish two book projects"