Player Profile: Chris Guerra

By Jessica Echterling

Senior transfer Chris Guerra has been a member of the Flagler College baseball team less than a year, but he has already made a name for himself in the Florida Sun Conference.

Prior to joining the team, Guerra attended Mt. Mercy College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, but after finding out that his coach there was transferring to a junior college and that he would be unable to follow his coach, Guerra decided to transfer. He contacted Dan Fitzgerald, the Flagler baseball infield/hitting coach and made plans for a transfer.

So far this season, Guerra has been named player of the week twice for the Florida Sun Conference, and has earned the lead off hitting position in the batting lineup. “I get out and work as hard as I can everyday. I try to lead by example. In baseball you must be calm and collected,” Guerra said.

Guerra really enjoys being the leadoff hitter. “There’s something about being the first to step in the box, it’s clean, no one else’s footsteps,” he said.

Although he has been pleased with his player of the week awards, Guerra’s focus is his teammates. “It’s nice to be recognized but also not that big of a deal, as long as the team is succeeding I don’t care about special recognition. My goal is for a World Series appearance.”

Guerra is currently hitting .313 for the Saints with 45 hits and 34 runs scored. His 15 stolen bases leads the team.

Be the first to comment on "Player Profile: Chris Guerra"