Clark looks to lead Saints to a championship

By Jaycob Ammerman | gargoyle@flagler.edu
Last season, Flagler College mMen’s basketball player Matt Clark expected that he wouldn’t get much playing time since he was a freshman.

“I initially felt that I was going to be the 6th or 7th man and come off the bench and be a three-point threat,” Clark said.

That all changed on Nov. 14, 2011, when the Saints played their first regular season game against Webber International University.

Clark came off the bench and dazzled the crowd with his hot-hand shooting, going 3-for-5 from the three-point line.

“I ended up shooting very well and ended up starting,” Clark said.

The rest was histor, as he would later become the first Flagler College freshman to lead the Peach Belt Conference in scoring.

“It was a very humbling experience to lead the Peach Belt, but we struggled as a team,” he said.

The Saints finished with a disappointing 9-17 record, and 2-16 in the Peach Belt.

This season, Clark is not worried about statistics; he is only worried about winning.

“It doesn’t matter if I average 20 points and 10 assists. I just want to win and help our team become better,” he said.

Clark believes that the Saints have enough experience and talent to make a championship run.

“I think the expectations are high for us and I feel we can win the Peach Belt,” he said.

Clark hopes to help lead the Saints to a championship for not only himself and his teammates, but also Coach Bo Clark, who also happens to be his father.

“To bring home a Peach Belt championship and even a championship would be an incredible experience because I would win one and my dad would,” Clark said.

Be the first to comment on "Clark looks to lead Saints to a championship"