Freshman softball player takes lead

By Nora Breedlove | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Freshman Kalyn Loverich hasn’t been playing much like a freshman pitcher in her first year with the Flagler College softball team.

The team remains undefeated, and Loverich has won seven out of the 16 games. Her goal is to have an ERA of under 1.5 for the entire season.

“Being on an undefeated team is unbelievable,” Loverich said. “We’ve worked so hard to get where we’re at and I really believe we deserve it.”

Loverich, from Jacksonville, started playing softball at the age of 8. She attended Bartram Trail High School and fell in awe with Flagler College when she visited last year.

Loverich’s biggest inspiration is her parents.

“They’ve taught me that great things come with hard work and I’m learning that with each passing day,” she said.

While growing up around softball, Loverich continues to cherish the friendships she has made with her teammates from previous years.

Loverich also said she enjoys being part of the Saints because every one is working together.

“I want our team to win a Conference Championship and I believe that we have the talent to do it,” she said.

Head Coach Kristen Overton said she’s impressed with Loverich’s hard work.

“She’s a very focused and competitive athlete,” Overton said. “She has the mentality and there’s no situation too tough for her.”

Be the first to comment on "Freshman softball player takes lead"