Hi, my name is Carrie, and I’m addicted to technology

That’s right. I have a serious technology habit.

Lately I’ve had the sinking feeling I’m tethered to technology. (I think I’ve even blogged about it before.) And this past week on vacation, I realized there’s no escaping it.

I checked my E-mail (both work and personal) at least a half dozen times and fielded several work phone calls. Granted, the week was anything but ordinary. (Do I have a knack for timing or what?) But the fact remains, I cannot let go of my electronic communication.

I had to recharge my cell phone twice while I was gone (a grand total of five days) and asked my sister-in-law if there was a local business that had free WiFi for my laptop that I had insisted on bringing so I wouldn’t be caught without Internet access. Yep, I’m addicted.

But probably the most shocking: I drove more than an hour to the Lake of the Ozarks from my brother’s house in Jefferson City, Mo. only to end up in a Wal-Mart browsing digital cameras. Sadly, my brother has a Wal-Mart less than a mile from his house. And while it made good fodder for the family conversation that night, it was an utterly ridiculous maneuver. I’m still laughing at myself for that one.

And the first thing I did when I got home? I checked my E-mail and charged my cell phone. And no sooner than I had sifted through my inbox — inboxes actually because I have five E-mail accounts — I downloaded a couple dozen photos from my new camera so I could send them to my friends and family. Ah, the life of the digitally enhanced.

Call me a nerd. Call me tethered to technology. I don’t mind. I surrender. I’m addicted to technology and you know what? It’s not so bad.

Be the first to comment on "Hi, my name is Carrie, and I’m addicted to technology"