WFCF to host Rock Block Party for 25th anniversary

WFCF Music Director Chloe Walker on the air in preparation for Thursday’s Rock Block Party. Photo: Dustin Fletcher

By Dustin Fletcher | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Flagler College Radio’s motto is “Radio with a Reason.”And Thursday night, there will be reason to be at the station.

On Thursday from 7 to 9 p.m., 88.5 WFCF Flagler College Radio will host their 25thanniversary Rock Block Party at the radio station, located behind Pollard Hall on Cuna Street to celebrate a quarter century on the air.

The party will feature a giveaway for tickets to see Napoleon Dynamite at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre and attend a panel with some of the cast. Also, local band Kapowski will be performing an acoustic set at 8 p.m.

There also will be activities such as soccer pool, which is exactly what it sounds like – pool with soccer balls – studio tours and recording liners that will air on the station by students in attendance.

WFCF Music Director Chloe Walker, known on air as DJ Glynn, said she’s excited for the party Thursday amidst all the planning that has taken place.

“I’m excited for the whole thing, but I’m especially excited for the ticket giveaways we have throughout the night. I think students will be most excited for the tickets for the Napoleon Dynamite panel,” Walker said.

WFCF even had to obtain permits from the city to have Kapowski play their set as it will exceed the normal decibel level by city standards.

WFCF Radio Station Manager Dan McCook said the party will help celebrate what he previously thought would be an unlikely 25th anniversary.

“To be completely honest, when I was hired 25 years ago I never thought the station would last even two years. I figured I would work here for a few years and move on to the next job somewhere else. But now, I’ve been here 25 years and I’ll stay as long as they’ll have me here. I tell my friends at all these big stations. I love it here because I get to hang out with you cool kids instead of those old farts at other stations,” McCook said at a station staff meeting.

WFCF Digital Program Director Nico Mochetto hopes the party helps promote the station to students.

“I’m really excited to just pull random students outside and cut breaks with them. They’ll be on the air with me and I love having a second person there with me because I really thrive off of the back and forth banter,” Mochetto said.

WFCF Social Media Director Tori Sisson said she’s looking forward to seeing the hard work she and others from the station have put in finally pay off.

“We were able to get in the Student Activities newsletter, we just got onto the class pages and we are taking over the Flagler College Instagram page (@flaglercollege) all day Thursday to promote the party. It’s exciting to see the culmination of everyone’s work at the station.”

The first song ever played on air was Changes by David Bowie on November 1, 1993 at WFCF Flagler College Radio. As the staff see it, nothing is changing fast, and WFCF is here to stay.

Be the first to comment on "WFCF to host Rock Block Party for 25th anniversary"