Sara Davis reflects on record-breaking Flagler volleyball season

By Jared Talbot | gargoyle@flagler.edu

The Flagler College women’s volleyball team had an historic run this past fall. They finished their season with an impressive 27-4 mark, which included a run to the Elite 8 of the NCAA Division II National Tournament, as well as a 22-match winning streak. Flagler finished the season with the program’s best winning percentage since the 2003 team that went 32-3. Overall it was historic and senior middle hitter Sara Davis deserves a lot of the credit for this.

From Akron, Ohio, originally, Davis came to Flagler and made an immediate impact on the team as a freshman. She was voted the Southeast Region Freshman of the Year, as well as the Peach Belt Conference Freshman of the Year by the conferences coaches. Her career only went up from there, though.

She was voted All-Southeast Region First-Team the next three straight years among a multitude of other awards, which led to her impressive senior year. She was recognized as an All-America Second-Team member, an All-Southeast Region First-Team member, the Southeast Region Player of the Year and the Peach Belt Conference Player of the Year. Beyond that she also broke the college’s record for blocks in the team’s last game as she passed Shola Osunfisan when she recorded her 411th block. She is also the school’s record holder for block assists with a record of 343.

Although she stands alone in the record books, she doesn’t look at it that way.

“Standing alone in the record books? I wouldn’t say that,” she said. “Volleyball is a team sport and I couldn’t do anything without them (my teammates). If I could, I would have each of their names next to mine. They were a one-in-a-million team and I am thankful every day that I was apart of that. Of course, I have my own goals and tried to achieve them, but I couldn’t have these records without them.”

Davis said her success was not something she expected.

“I never imagined it this way. I just knew that I was coming to college to play volleyball and if I play great then we’ll see. I never thought I would start every game and excel as much as I did, but my coach pushed me and I pushed myself further than I’d ever thought I could.”

While Davis has become something of a Flagler volleyball legend, she is now focus on her next step.

“Right now, my journey is very much undecided,” she said. “I signed with a professional volleyball agent, but am not sure where or when I’ll be playing. Another option is grad school, maybe playing for another sport such as outdoor volleyball.”

Davis graduates in April and the team has been consistently recruiting players for the fall. Wherever Davis is in the fall, she does have some advice for the incoming freshmen.

“The best piece of advice is to give your all no matter what,” she said. “Putting your best effort forward as soon as you walk on that court in practice, in games, and even how you perform in class. Giving your best effort in everything you do in all aspects of your life is always a good thing.”

Be the first to comment on "Sara Davis reflects on record-breaking Flagler volleyball season"