Cancer Smashing for years to come

photo 1By Kelly Goddard | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Earlier this month, 50 participants chose to work out to benefit others through Cancer Smash.

The Flagler College chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) created Cancer Smash through partnership with DRiV Fitness CrossFit of St. Augustine.

Managed through the Flagler Health Care Foundation, this event raised money to financially assist patients undergoing cancer treatments at Flagler Hospital.

“The turnout was great,” said PRSSA President Alyssa Wickham. “Since Cancer Smash has been a campus event every year, I wanted to branch out and make it a community event.”

Chelsea Commodari, a senior and first-year member of PRSSA, pitched the idea at a meeting with little thought to how far it would go.

“They were looking for an event and my CrossFit gym at home had done a similar event. I thought it was great way to start. Everyone was skeptical during the pitch but I thought it was different than the dodge ball tournament and scavenger hunts,”  Commodari said.

For 25 dollars, participants received a t-shirt and could participate in an optional guided workout—along with raffles, prizes photo 2 (1)and food. All proceeds were donated to the Cancer Patient Emergency Fund at Flagler Hospital.

Wickham, also a senior at Flagler College, even tried her hand at CrossFit.
“It was my first time ever doing CrossFit, so I did the beginners. It’s definitely a sport that’s no joke—but I just wanted to participate to see from both perspectives,” Wickham said.

Thanks to all of the participants and collaborative efforts of the organizations involved, Cancer Smash raised over 2,500 dollars to benefit those in need. In fact, Cancer Smash was such a success, it will be held annually.

Both Commodari and Wickham will be graduating this year, but they plan to come back to help host the event next year and for years to come.

“It was a great feeling as I was on the floor panting end everyone was still cheering. The most important thing you have to do is stand up after your workout—because you are fighting for people that are fighting a tougher battle,” Commodari said.

photo 2Wickham is especially excited for the future of PRSSA and cannot wait for the bar to be raised at next year’s Cancer Smash event.

“I wanted to raise more money than we ever have and set higher goals than before and as the president there is nothing more rewarding than seeing that be done,” Wickham said.

Be the first to comment on "Cancer Smashing for years to come"