Sports Spotlight: Golf standout Spencer Schindler

SPENCERBy Jeff Batt | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Photo by Tara Whitaker

Flagler College golfer Spencer Schindler is ranked 6th in the nation for Men’s Division II Golf and his career record is 934-238. But even more impressive is the fact that Schindler is only a sophomore.

“It motivates me and symbolizes an accomplishment. It also symbolizes what I have had to persevere through my entire life,” Schindler said.

A sophomore standout on the Flagler College Golf Team, Schindler is originally from Maryland. Schindler moved to St. Augustine before his freshman year of high school and attended nearby Pedro Menendez High where he led his team to an outstanding 44-3 record. Schindler’s record at Flagler has been similarly impressive.

In his first year, Schindler earned an All-Peach Belt Conference second team honors and was co-Freshman of the Year in the PBC. He also won his first collegiate event with an overall score of seven under par at the Anderson Invitational.

His freshman year was strong and he made a statement for himself as a player at Flagler as well as throughout the conference.

Schindler has a list of goals, one of which he has accomplished already by receiving All-American in 2013. His goals for his senior year are more ambitious.

“I want to be number one in the nation, win every tournament that I participate in and prepare to play on the PGA Tour,” Schindler said.

As a sophomore, Schindler’s game has improved tremendously. He has played in every one of Flagler’s tournaments this season and had stellar results.

He finished in first place at both the Guy Harvey Invitational and the Spring Kickoff Intercollegiate tournaments. He also managed to get six top 10 finishes to add to his remarkable season. Through 23 rounds of golf, his average score is 71.57, which breaks the all-time Flagler single season scoring-average record.

In addition to his impressive statistics, Schindler had the best win and loss record in a season at 623-66, which means he beat 90 percent of the field he played against.

Schindler continues to find ways to gather motivation, but his main source is something personal.

“I am motivated by my family, who supports me so much. I hope to be able to support them in the future,” Schindler said.

Schindler’s grandfather, or “Da”, influenced him to take up golf in the first place. Schindler’s grandfather was a lieutenant in the U.S. Army who used his free time to take him out to the golf course. He took Schindler out of school whenever he could and played with him. Since then, golf has become a regular activity for Schindler.

Schindler is also inspired by his golf idols, which include the young star Keegan Bradley. He compares himself to Irish player Graeme McDowell due to his physical stature and conservative shots.

Schindler hopes to inspire the next generation of golfers by working at The First Tee of St. Johns County, where he teaches young athletes the importance of the game.

Schindler’s next stop is the Peach Belt Conference Tournament, and based on his recent results, there are high expectations for the young star. At the end of the day, Schindler’s dream is to play on the PGA Tour. His consistency and drive are propelling him towards that goal.

“In my mind I understand how much risk, investment and commitment are involved. I always knew what I was capable of. I never asked myself ‘what if?’. Now, I just have to build my rank up and continue to practice,” Schindler said.

Be the first to comment on "Sports Spotlight: Golf standout Spencer Schindler"