From player to coach: Kreuter gets coaching gig in hometown

sports logoBy Noah Gatsik | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Senior pitcher Max Kreuter’s dream came true when he agreed to become the Dunedin High School baseball team’s pitching and assistant coach.

“This is something I always wanted to do,” Kreuter said. “I always wanted to play for as long as I could, and then once that was over, I really wanted to become involved with coaching in some aspect.”

Kreuter is in his last semester at Flagler College. He transferred from the University of Tampa to Flagler two years ago, finishing out his college career pitching for the Saints. He says he is excited and ready to teach the younger players not only pitching techniques, but everything he has learned along the way during his playing days.

“It’s funny to me, looking back on everything I have learned and done over the years,” Kreuter explained. “If I knew then what I know now I probably would have done some things a little differently. I’m just excited to try and teach and explain to these kids my experience, and hopefully they can take full advantage of it and become the best players they can possibly be.”

Dunedin’s head coach Ron Sexton believes bringing in Kreuter will be a big addition to his program.

“Anytime you can bring in a guy with high level experience it’s a good opportunity,” Sexton said. “Our kids now have the unique opportunity to be around a guy that has been through what they are about to go through. I fully expect him to become a mentor and someone these young players will look up to.”

Kreuter played baseball for coach Sexton at Dunedin High School for four years. It is a unique bond the two have created that led Kreuter back to where his career began.

“It’s almost like everything is coming full circle,” Kreuter said. “I’m just thankful that coach Sexton was willing to give me this opportunity, and I can’t wait to get started.”

Coach Sexton believes that Kreuter has what it takes to be a very successful coach.

“He was a natural leader for us during his playing days here,” Sexton said. “He was a two-year captain and always seemed to have the attention and respect from his teammates. It’s those special traits and qualities that I believe will make him not only a successful pitching coach here, but one day an eventual head coach.”

Be the first to comment on "From player to coach: Kreuter gets coaching gig in hometown"