gargoyle@flagler.edu I remember the day my mother came home furious, with my sister in tow. I had never seen her that mad, and after sending both my sister and me to our room, I found out why. My sister had been caught shoplifting. The manager at the supermarket had told my mom that if she had not been with my sister, she would have been arrested. However, what piqued my interest was what she was caught trying to steal: ex-lax." />

Saturday , 24 February 2018

Home » Opinion » On the other side of the weight-loss bun

On the other side of the weight-loss bun

March 21, 2013 10:02 am by: Category: Opinion 16 Comments A+ / A-

By Katy Stang | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Katy StangI remember the day my mother came home furious, with my sister in tow. I had never seen her that mad, and after sending both my sister and me to our room, I found out why. My sister had been caught shoplifting. The manager at the supermarket had told my mom that if she had not been with my sister, she would have been arrested.

However, what piqued my interest was what she was caught trying to steal: ex-lax.

Later we would find out she was bulimic, a revelation that both saddened and puzzled me. I was significantly heavier than she was and while I had been bullied in the past, I had never gone to such extreme measures to try to lose weight. But she did and I knew that somewhere along the way her confidence for being curvy had melted into self-doubt and self-hate. It was then that I began to understand the pressures to become thin.

The quest to become healthy has steam-rolled America, and in its wake, we have become crippled as a society. Not in the literal sense. Instead our most scrutinized features are our bodies. In the United States in 2010, the weight loss market was worth an astounding $60.9 billion, according to MarketData.

This importance is reflected in the business world, as well. A 2004 study by Cornell University Associate Professor John Cawley showed that if a woman puts on around roughly 64 pounds, her wages declined by 9 percent. More than ever, individuals are placing an importance on such a trivial attribute. At the same time, this has begun to show damaging effects.

Recent research has found that anorexia nervosa, where a person drastically limits their food intake, is currently the most fatal mental disorder with an estimated mortality rate of 10 percent, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. But what is even more startling is how young individuals are beginning to develop eating disorders.

Between the years of 1999 and 2006, hospitalizations for eating disorders in children under 12 increased by a shocking 119 percent, suggesting that the pressures of the body are starting to encroach on the young. There is no question why when shows like “The Biggest Loser” now have a kid’s edition where 13-year-olds proclaim their need to have a new “healthy lifestyle.”

None of this is to say that being health conscious is bad in anyway. Obesity is on the rise for both adults and children, and it has become a national epidemic. However, there is another side to the argument that we are not examining.

An aspiration to be healthy is fine and the same goes for exercising regularly, but where is self-worth in the conversation? We are teaching our children that being thin is one of the most important attributes in growing up. Why are we not teaching people to first love themselves before changing what they don’t like?

“It’s so sad that we live in a culture where restrained eating is normal eating, and I just want to tell you it’s not. It’s not normal,” Brown University Nutritionist Annie Buffington proclaimed this month. She also went onto say that, “People can be healthy at all sizes by focusing on other factors in their life and not just the number on a scale.”

My thinner sister did not like how she looked, so I started questioning my body. I never developed an eating disorder, but I did spend an enormous chunk of my childhood feeling both inferior and ugly. I felt like I was worth nothing because of how I looked and that I didn’t deserve what others had because I was/am fat. But then, the glorious Web-o-sphere heavens opened up and I discovered fat activist blogs, which helped me grow into the confident and sexy woman I am today.

I gained the self-worth that the world around me told me I didn’t deserve. I became secure in myself and grew to love every stretch mark, curve, handle and roll. Surprisingly enough, I’m healthier than ever. Although still fat, I eat healthy and exercise regularly and enjoy life to its fullest. My sister, with the help of my family, was able to conquer bulimia and we know she was one of the lucky ones.

Diet, exercise and being healthy are all good things, but by placing the emphasis on physical characteristics, it is damaging many individuals’ self-esteem. By teaching people to love their bodies, along with living a healthy lifestyle, some may begin to put down the ex-lax and pick up the self-confidence.

On the other side of the weight-loss bun Reviewed by on . By Katy Stang | gargoyle@flagler.edu I remember the day my mother came home furious, with my sister in tow. I had never seen her that mad, and after sending bot By Katy Stang | gargoyle@flagler.edu I remember the day my mother came home furious, with my sister in tow. I had never seen her that mad, and after sending bot Rating: 0

Comments (16)

• nasir

Most Health News at http://hbnews24.com

• lupomare

Excessive Fat always makes a depressed. Sound health is very important for sound mind. If the body is unsound, the mind will be unsound. We should keep that in mind and make routine diets according to our health. http://lupomare.com/health

• Jual Septic Tank

nice share…. keep working…

• http://hvp.bzh.be

all the time i used to read smaller content which also clear their motive,
    and that is also happening with this piece of writing which I am reading
    here.

• Get the Facts on English Wikipedia

Good day I am so excied I found your webpage, I really found you by error, while I was
    browsing on Askjeeve for something else, Anyow I am here now and
    would just like to say cheers for a fantastic post aand a all rolund entertaining blog
    (I also lkve the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all
    at the minute buut I have bookmarked it and also included
    your RSS feeds, sso whnen I have time I will be back to
    read a great deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.

• Glasses.com gives discount codes

Before placing your get, you may make sure whether the lenses possess and continue maintaining a superb level of water, so that they
    may stay soft and versatile. Because the first eye
    glasses come right into being over eight hundred years ago,
    the meaning of correct glasses is altered or improved significantly.

• FatButFit

Forgot to add that I am just like yourself fat and happy 🙂

• FatButFit

I am glad that you are fat and happy – I would pay no attention to what other people would say, just keep on being yourself the way you feel most comfortable

• david

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find a
    lot of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content
    available for you? I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on many of the subjects
    you write about here. Again, awesome blog!

http://www.liquid-diet-plan.com/2014/04/liquid-diet-plan.html

• Green Coffee Bean Max Side Effects

What an inspirational article? I agree that being healthy does not means to cut your diet,feel ashamed of yourself or lose confidence. Health is not just body but it includes everything – what we eat, how we sleep, what we do and more. Will come back for more. Thanks.

• Chris

So many will look for easy methods to lose without putting physical efforts. That’s not the right way to lose weight. Having low carbohydrates and high protein intake will prevent you from overweight. Doing physical exercises like yoga, or other cardio exercises will helps to burn calories. Use appetite suppressant, it will lessen your cravings and also helps in losing weight faster.

• anti wrinkle

• Cath

You’re 100% right, we shouldn’t be putting focus on physical characteristics at all. Personally I don’t care at all how I look to be honest, I’m not in the best shape in the world but that doesn’t bother me, I’m very comfortable in my own skin. I only exercise so that I have more energy day to day, and I think it develops a little bit of self discipline. But I don’t think any of those things are proven, just what I tell myself to keep myself motivated.

• Green coffee extract weight loss

Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the
    same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on.

You have done a marvellous job!

• Sim

I am not sure if blaming celebrity culture is at work here, but I think it plays a large role, as do the endless Photoshopped and impossibly thin models in glossy magazines. Fat is being seen as very undesirable and people almost get the message that they will never be loved or even liked if they are over weight. I am not sure if this way of thinking can be overcome on a global level because it’s so ingrained into our minds through magazines, movies, celebrities. But maybe these subjects should be introduced into schools, and kids can be told that this image of perfection is false.
    But for me the most tragic thing now is how many very young girls are getting plastic surgery to look that little bit more “perfect”. We have created a very odd society.

• Fat Burner Guide

Excessive Fat always makes a depressed. Sound health is very important for sound mind. If the body is unsound, the mind will be unsound. We should keep that in mind and make routine diets according to our health. By the way, very well descriptive Article i must say.