Senior volleyball player cherishes time spent at Flagler

By Don Stewart | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Senior defensive specialist Laura Beth Lancaster transferred from Georgia Southern after her freshman year and has thrived for Flagler volleyball ever since.

“The coaches, players and even the faculty at this school are all behind me and that’s a great feeling,” Lancaster said. “I have become close with not only the members of the volleyball program here, but of many other sports teams as well. It’s hard to say goodbye, but I am grateful for all of the memories and opportunities I’ve had here.”

But her time as a Saint isn’t over just yet. Last weekend the Saints won the Southeast Regional title and will play California State San Bernardino next Tuesday in the NCAA Division II National Quarterfinals.

“We all came together and played as a team this weekend,” Lancaster said. “It was incredible because in the championship match against Wingate we were down two sets, and we came back to win the entire thing 3-2. I have never seen so much heart and effort put into a match before. It’s exciting because we are peaking at such a perfect time in our season.”

Lancaster will graduate in the spring, but will carry the memories of Flagler College volleyball with her forever.

“I love all of the girls on this team and can genuinely say that I care about each and every one of them. It’s a kind of thing where I’m sure we’re all going to be in touch long after our time here at Flagler,” Lancaster said.

Being that this will be her last tournament in competitive volleyball, Lancaster would love nothing more than to bring back Flagler’s first National Championship and submit herself and her fellow seniors into Flagler sports history.

Be the first to comment on "Senior volleyball player cherishes time spent at Flagler"