Golf players discuss success on the course

By Jaycob Ammerman | gargoyle@flagler.edu

Growing up in Sweden, Elin Karlsson lived right next to a beautiful golf course.

“My dad used to bring me to that great golf course, and that is where I found out that I really enjoyed playing the game,” Karlsson said.

Karlsson began excelling in golf and believed that her best opportunity was in America. She then decided to move to here to attend Flagler College to play golf.

In Karlsson’s first year at Flagler, she developed a good relationship with her head coach, Santiago Cavanagh. Cavanagh, originally from Argentina, helped her with the transition of moving from another country.

“He is a really good coach with a great understanding for the game of golf. If I ever need help he will be there to help,” Karlsson said.

In Karlsson’s freshmen season, she played in nine tournaments and posted an 82.9 average. She shot a season-low round of 75 at the Barry Bucs Invite.

Karlsson’s sophomore year was a year she would never forget.

“Our team won the Peach Belt Conference Championship and I finished tied for fifth as an individual,” Karlsson said.

She posted a season-low round of 75 at the Peach Belt Conference Championship.

Karlsson is determined this season to help lead her team past the Conference Championship to regionals.

“We are practicing harder this year and we are all focused on our goals,” Karlsson said. “I hope we can make it to regionals and be ranked higher than last season. That would be good.”

Karlsson is currently a junior and is majoring in communication with a minor in advertising.

Men’s Golf

Chris Bray has been playing golf since the age of six.

“My dad got me into it when I was 6, and I have done it ever since,” Bray said.

Bray lettered in golf, tennis, baseball and basketball at Hilliard High School in Florida and decided to bring his golf talents to Flagler.

In Bray’s freshman season at Flagler, he played in six tournaments with an average of 77.50. In his sophomore season, Bray played in seven tournaments with an average of 74.59, and led his team in birdies.

During his junior season, he played in nine tournaments with an average of 73.6, and had six top 10 finishes including finishing 2nd at Palencia.

Bray is determined to help lead his team to a Conference Championship.

“I expect to put myself in a position to win every tournament I play in and help lead the team to nationals,” Bray said.

Bray is currently a senior and is majoring in business with minors in economics and advertising.

Be the first to comment on "Golf players discuss success on the course"